How to Build Your Resume
Landing an interview isn’t a walk in the park – probably the employers have received resumes in abundance for your dream job. Your resume must be astonishing so that you beat them and land that position. You are a ton of things, you don’t necessarily have to be a resume essayist.
With CVMagnet’s guide on how to build your resume, you will become a pro at creating your resume in no time! The tips go something like this:
· Select the right format
· Fill in your personal details
· Add your resume objective or summary
· Tell about your work experience
· List down your educational qualifications
· Mention the skills you possess
· Add supplementarily sections
· Enhance your resume with a cover letter
· Proofread, save and share promptly
Keep scrolling to find out step-by-step guide to create a significant resume.
1. Select the right format
The first, foremost, and most confusing step to build any resume is choosing the right format. There are three formats to resume building – reverse chronological, skill-based, and a combination of two or more.
· Reverse chronological format: Under this format, work experience and educational qualifications are arrange in recent to oldest order. Your latest work experience comes first and first-ever work experience comes last; the same goes for educational qualifications.
· Skill-based format: If you don’t have enough work experience because you are a student/fresher, or are looking for a career change, this format is the best choice.
· Combination format: This format is the eminent choice for applicants with various skill-sets. It is convenient when you are applying for a job that requires proficiency in multiple domain.
The layout of your resume is the first thing that gets noticed. Check out our resume templates immediately and choose whichever you think is the best for you. Your resume must be one page in length with clear section headings. It should be written in a readable font with appropriate white space to avoid the resume from looking like a mess. Make sure to save your resume in PDF format. You can also save it in Word document but the chances of your resume template getting messed up is high.
2. Fill in your personal details
Now that we have completed the basic step of resume building, let’s get to the first floor, i.e., filling in your personal details. This is the first and a must-have section of every resume. It covers all your basic information like:
· Your first and last name, residential address, contact information, date of birth, nationality.
· You can also add your social media profile and/or website/blog, URL to your LinkedIn profile, your professional title for HR’s ease.
Make sure that your email address is something professional looking like email@example.com; you cannot write firstname.lastname@example.org. You can always optionally add your formal picture, parallel to personal details at the top of the resume. The employer will always dig information on your online presence, so why not share the details on resume beforehand.
3. Add your resume objective or summary
You know how you post a caption under a picture on social media to describe the moment or memory or the person in the picture; a resume objective or summary is slightly similar to that but in a professional manner. Statistics show that HRs and employers can examine your resume and make an early decision in less than 7 seconds. Thereby, writing the accurate pro resume objective or summary is extremely important. Note that the resume objective and summary are two different things.
· Resume objective: If you are a student, a fresher or a career changer, a resume objective statement is meant for you. Since you don’t have relevant experience to outline, you should highlight skills from other areas that you possess. This way you will convey even if you don’t have enough experience in that position, you do have relevant skills for it.
· Resume summary: This is for the applicants who possess years of relevant experience. It concludes your job position-related potential and experience. You can mention the number of years of experience you have in this field and relevant skills that you have mastered over the years.
4. Tell about your work experience
You must be thinking “Oh, this is easy! I just have to list out the companies where I have worked in the past”. Well, it isn’t just that. When you are writing your work experience on your resume, there are a couple of things other than just naming the companies you have worked with.
· Job position: This is the first thing to mention for every experience under this category. Write your position in bold letters, be it a full-time job or an internship.
· Company and city: Next thing is the name of the company with the city and state of the location where you worked.
· Duration: Now add the duration of your employment from start date to end date. You can either just mention the years or you can also mention both month and years. Mentioning the exact date is not a necessity.
· Roles and responsibilities: This will let the employer know what were your roles and responsibilities at a particular company; but do not point out every single activity you did. You must mention your key roles and responsibilities that is connected to the job you are applying for.
· Achievements: You have already share our roles and responsibilities with the employer but is equally important to let them know how good you were at your job. Mention the promotion(s), certificates and/or awards you achieved during your employment.
5. List down your educational qualifications
Many people don’t think adding your educational qualifications could be important, but the truth is it is as important as adding any other information. Your schooling details should be listed in reverse chronological order meaning your add your highest degree on top like your master’s degree or post graduate diploma (if there is) should always be on top followed by bachelor’s degree and then schooling information. If you are adding your master’s or equivalent qualifications, you can choose to skip schooling details. Information on every qualification should be mentioned in the following way:
· Course: On top always comes the name of your course or program you studied. E.g.: M.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication
· University: The next line states the university from where you completed your program. E.g.: Manipal University Jaipur
· Years: Now add the year of joining and year of graduating. E.g.: 08/2018 – 05/2020 or August, 2018 to May, 2020.
Adding your result like GPA or percentage is optional. If it isn’t the perfect score, we would suggest you to not mention it at all. Another important tip to remember is never lie on your resume in education category and do not round up your GPA.
6. Mention the skills you possess
Let us state clearly that you cannot afford to skip “skills” section on your resume. This sections informs the employer about the skills relevant to the job you are applying for a well as your interpersonal skills. Skills are usually categorized into two:
· Hard skills: Hard skills are also known as measurable potential. The skills you possess that are relevant to the position you are applying for are hard skills. It cab ne anything like editing in Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop, mixing and creating sound in Audacity or FL studio, coding in Python and many such skills.
· Soft skills: Soft skills include your interpersonal qualities such a social skills, leadership qualities, communication skills, teamwork, to mention a few.
A good resume is a mix of both measurable skills and interpersonal qualities. It tells how well can you do your job and adjust in the environment of the company.
7. Add supplementary sections
Until here you have covered all the sections that every resume has. Now what should you add in your resume to personalize it? The answer is supplementary skills. Make your resume stand out by adding a number extra skills like:
· Interests and hobbies: Do not write the stereotypical information like reading books and traveling. Mention things that show how active you are like you love for cricket and how you participate in cricket tournaments.
· Achievements and awards: if you have any award or certificate to show off, this is your cue! Add all your certifications and awards here that are relevant to the profession.
· Volunteer tasks: Studies show volunteering boosts employability. Add the volunteering work you have done highlights your moral values and dedication. It also says that you don’t care only about money but people as well.
· Languages: Listing your language skills will extend your chances to land a job. If you are well aware with native languages of different states of your country, it gets easy to land a job. If you are fluent in international languages, it is highly impressive! List down all the languages you know and the level of proficiency of every language.
· Recommendations: Recommendations are a good way to portray your hard work and dedication towards your job. If you can manage to get recommendations from your previous employer, you are letting your new employers know how skilled you actually are.
· Project and publishing: Written articles, blog posts, product descriptions or built graphic designs, website designs or completed any other project that has been published online or offline, do not forget to highlight them. If your work has been published offline, you can create a short bibliography of it.
8. Enhance your resume with a cover letter
Now that your resume is created, let us tell you it is time to create a cover letter. Writing a cover letter is as important as creating an extraordinary resume. Cover letter gives you the opportunity to elaborate the details you mentioned in your resume in short. It also lets you speak in normal, simple sentences without have to use a lot of jargons. There are three steps to follow in order to write a convincing cover letter:
· Introduction: At the start introduce yourself in a unique way so that the employer is impressed at the start itself. Mention in brief about yourself and your work experience. Show them why you are interest in working for their organization.
· Explain your potential: Read thoroughly the skill requirements for the position then explain in one paragraph how you are the right fit for the job and how your skills will benefit the organization.
· Conclude and say thanks: At the end, thank the reader for taking out time to read and consider your application. Also let them know that you are open to talk if they need to know more about you or your experience.
If you find it difficult than mentioned then don’t worry, we have got you covered. Head out to over cover letters section where you can find a cover letter that matches to resume’s template and build a cover letter in less than 5 minutes!
9. Proofread, save and share promptly
You are almost done, but wait, don’t send it right away! Just like submitting you answer script in examination, you revise the answers you wrote, you must always double-check and proofread resume before sharing or even saving on your device in order to avoid typing errors or spelling mistakes. Use grammar check tools to scan your resume and/or cover letter. Once your resume and cover letter is free from all errors, save it on your device by your first name, underscore, last name, underscore, and position you are applying for and save it in a PDF format. Now you can share your resume and cover letter with the employer or HR of your dream job.
Want to know something more bout resume building? Unsure of how to perfectly highlight work experience, hard skills or soft skills, or the lit of award and achievements? Don’t worry! Check out our Q/A forum or reach out to us and we will answer all your questions in no time.
Guide to Building Resume with CVmagnet
At Cvmagnet we know and understand the cruciality of building a resume that makes you stand out from the crowd. Sooner or later we have all undergone through the process of resume building, applying to jobs and some of us have even faced rejection because of our not-so-amazing resume. But not anymore!
Cvmagnet is here to help you land an interview to your dream job. In the journey from applying for a job to landing an interview, we assure to help you make your application so appealing that the employer will be forced to contact you. We are here to support you and after all, our vision is ‘We Rise By Lifting Others’
Cvmagnet is here to help you create an outstanding resume in just a few simple steps. Keep reading to learn the step by step procedure of using our Resume Builder service.
· Once you have registered with your email address at CVmagnet, head to Account Settings under your name on the top right corner, to fill in your basic details.
Next click on the Resume Builder section and
Click on Create New Resume.